The initiation of this project had many reasons behind them as follows:
- Initially there was no firewall used in their network, which means there existed a threat to their network from spam email, malware, antivirus, malicious traffic etc.
- There were no such appliances which could perform the we b filtering i.e. Allowing/Blocking of the websites like for example YouTube and various other media streaming websites were opened for access which used to consume lot of bandwidth thereby slowing down the entire network which had an impact on their business.
- Their network had services from 2 ISPs (Roke Telecom and Africel) which had provided two different WAN links used for redundancy. But the challenge was when one link goes down the other one had to be manually fail-over which would consume some time leading to business impact.
- The branches were not connected to each other so if any resources were supposed to be shared between them it was only done through emails and using FTP clients.
Below are solutions implemented for the above business challenges:
- Fortigate 100D provides the Fortiguard services like Email protection, Antivirus, IPS and Web- Filtering which helped in blocking all the suspicious websites, unwanted and bandwidth consuming sites as well as preventing the threats, malwares coming from the outside world.
- Fortigate 100D firewall comes with dual WAN link load balancing features which can enable the two links at the same time and has the auto failover option so that if one link goes down, the other will support the network without causing any disruption and if both the links are up and running then the traffic will be shared between them to prevent overloading.
- An IPsec Site-to-Site VPNs were configured to connect the branch offices as well as Remote Access VPNs for allowing the partners to connect to the office of OiLibya, Uganda so that the resources shared between them or the communication will now be in an encrypted way.